Preparing for surgery can help you, the patient, maximize your results and improve the healing process. Depending on the type of surgery and the time you have prior to your procedure, you will want to do some or all of the following to prepare for your surgery:
- Prior to your surgery, eat healthy including all the essential nutrients
- Drink plenty of water daily, both before and after your surgery
- Schedule any elective procedures at a time when you will have sufficient support to assist you at home during recovery
- Do not take aspirin or any products which contain aspirin or other blood-thinners for two weeks prior to your surgery unless otherwise instructed by your physician. Do not stop taking any medication which was prescribed by a physician without first consulting with the prescribing physician and with your surgeon.
- If you are taking any vitamins or herbal supplements, please notify our office as some of these may need to be temporarily discontinued prior to surgery.
- Smoking has a detrimental effect upon the body’s healing process. Do not smoke for two weeks prior to any surgery or for two weeks after the surgery. Ideally, cease smoking completely so as to maximize your body’s healing ability.
- Prepare a list of any questions you may have for your surgeon to bring with you to your preoperative appointment.
- If you have any ongoing health problems other than those for which your surgeon is treating you, be sure he is aware of these conditions. In addition, you should consult with whatever physician is treating you for those other conditions to make him or her aware of your upcoming surgical procedure
Nutritional Supplements Designed For Surgery Patients
Our surgeons believe strongly in the benefits of good nutrition in promoting overall health. However, they know not all patients are able to get good nutrition and may need assistance. After researching a number of alternatives, including scientific studies, they decided to recommend for our patients the option of VitaMedica®. VitaMedica® supplements were based on the concept of using vitamins and nutritional supplements under the guidance of a medical professional. These are only available through health care professionals or directly from VitaMedica®.
In particular, VitaMedica® offers a Surgery Program which is designed to enhance the body’s natural mechanisms for repair and healing to optimize the surgical outcome. This Surgery Program is a comprehensive one which includes both pre- and post- operative supplements and allows you, the patient, to take an active role in your healing process. The Surgery Program includes Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, zinc, copper, bioflavonoids, Bromelain with Quercetin, Arnica Montana 30X, and other nutrients.
If you are interested in learning more about VitaMedica®, ask your surgery coordinator or the medical assistant during your consultation or email us at info@TexasPSA.com.
You can also learn more, and order the product, directly from VitaMedica® at www.vitamedica.com.